Monday, September 17, 2007

Welcome to Autism Information

My name is Melinda L. Secor, and I am a single mother of three children and a full time freelance writer. Before giving up working outside the home to homeschool my children, I spent seventeen years in the healthcare/developmental disabilities fields. During this time, I worked with both the physical aspects of disabilities as a direct care worker, and with behavioral/ life skills issues as a Residential Habilitation Counselor, with the goal of enhancing client independence and social skills. Through my work, I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience in the day to day challenges faced by people with developmental disabilities and their families.

Beyond my professional experience with developmental disabilities, I have a personal interest, having close personal and family ties with a number of individuals who have special needs. Among them are a god-daughter with severe autism, a young man, soon be my ward, who has cerebral palsy and mental retardation, and my own youngest child, born three and a half years ago with Down syndrome.

My sister, Sharon Secor, also a freelance writer and a homeschooling mother of four, is very interested in child development in general, and has a college background in adolescent psychology. She has a special interest in cognitive development, particularly in the mechanics, so to speak, of cognition and has spent a great deal of time researching autism spectrum disorders specifically. We have decided to collaborate in creating this blog in an effort to explore and discuss the many aspects of living with autism, as well as providing information and resources that we hope will be both helpful and interesting.

No comments: